- I do not in anyway understand the purple leotard, cheerleader, locker room dance/singing sequence. A big haired blond girl says something like "here's our next cheer" and then proceeds to sing "I Like Boys" and all the girls perform a clearly choreographed number while the main character, Louise, looks on in frustration because she obviously isn't a cheerleader and didn't get to learn the dance number. But since the lyrics to the song are so easy (I like boys over and over again), you'd think she'd be able to at least sing along.
- Zelda Rubinstein, of Poltergeist fame, is in the movie. She doesn't squeak when she walks, but she does play a medium who helps Louise discover her magical talents.
- Robyn Lively, Blake Lively's much older sister, plays Louise. Her birthday is February 7, 1972, so that makes her 10 days older than me. If only I'd been born 10 days earlier I could have been a dumpy teenager with latent magical blood.
- When she first finds out she's a witch, she takes the book Madame Serena gives her to an old carousel to learn about her powers. It's unclear where this movie takes place, but an old carousel definitely lends credibility to the supernatural events that will undoubtedly follow.
- The basic plot of this movie is recently 16-year old unpopular girl with bizarre younger brother likes super popular guy; whines about life to equally unpopular friend; goes to school dance just to be near popular boy and has to deal with ultra geeky boy; magic ensues; life lessons are learned; popular boy and unpopular girl end up together. With the exception of the magic part - this is the same plot of 16 Candles, a far superior movie.
- In real life, the unpopular friend (Lisa Fuller) ends up with the popular boy (Dan Gauthier). They've been married since 1990. Just proving that, in the end, boys don't want the girls who dance around in purple leotards in the locker room. They just want to watch the girls in purple leotards dance around.
Sunday, August 9, 2015
80s Movies - Teen Witch
With Mr. H. and baby H. out of the house for the weekend, I have moved into the staying in bed, eating ice cream and watching television (p...
There has been a lot of talk in the media, on social networks, on trains, and in knitting circles about women's rights/misogyny, etc. la...
The bad thing about international travel is the time difference, and if it's a work trip, finding the time to run and having enough ener...
I tried to get up and run but the car battery was dead. That doesn’t make any sense because of course one does not need a working car batter...
A few weeks ago I was browsing around BuzzFeed, as one does, and I took a quiz, as one does, about how many iconic 80s films I had seen...