Wednesday, January 31, 2007
Tuesday, January 30, 2007
On a side note, I included links to make this non-blog more interesting, and easier to get away from.
Monday, January 29, 2007
Friday, January 26, 2007
So, next time you drop your underwear on the floor in the gym, don't be embarrassed about all the people who saw your underwear lying there - unless of course, there are big stains on your underwear - that's embarrassing.
Tuesday, January 23, 2007
Monday, January 22, 2007
Friday, January 19, 2007
Thursday, January 18, 2007
- Two bedrooms
- Laundry in building (great if in unit but I won't hold my breath)
- Some sort of outside space
- Available street parking
- Close to public transportation not the brown or north side red line (of course, I'm looking to move to the near west side of the city, so if I'm close enough to downtown, I could just ride my bike/roller skate/skateboard/ski/etc.)
- A separate dining room and/or small office space
Those aren't necessarily in order of importance, but basically that's it. Does that seem to much to ask? Well, of course, that's not all I want. Along with that I would also like:
- Decent water pressure
- Ample and well-placed electrical outlets
- Electric wires that can sustain the load of today's many modern appliances
- A neighborhood that is relatively safe
- A landlord that is responsive to my requests
- A grocery store not too far away
- Ample closets (here I'm not even asking for that much since if you know what kind of closet space I'm dealing with now, you'd know I know how to organize a closet to death)
- No big repair work needed
Friday, January 12, 2007
Normally a note like this might be written on the back of an envelope, or a post it note, or a plain piece of paper. For those with more sensitive wives, it might even be followed by an “I’m so sorry honey.” But you’d never expect this kind of note written on a pair of pink underwear – panties to be exact. Hers, I presumed – though with her, you never could tell.
While processing the knowledge of Pete’s death, I tried to decipher the meaning of the underwear. It wasn’t that we didn’t have paper in the house. And even if we didn’t, she was one of those women who liked to leave cute love notes on the bathroom mirror with lipstick. Maybe she felt that was inappropriate in this situation. But for the life of me, I couldn’t fathom how writing it on a pair of panties was appropriate.
Solving her latest little mystery would have to wait. I called my mother and then started to pack. I neatly folded my suite, tie and shirt into my bag. Then sox and shoes. And then finally, almost forgetting, my underwear.
- The piss-poor status of the Chicago Transit Authority
- Lack of and miss-information regarding changing your name on your passport
- The weather - is it winter, is it spring? Pick a season please
- The Bears - hate to be pessimistic, but ... well I don't want to jinx anything, so I won't even say it
On the plus side, I do have things that are nice in my life:
- Three-day weekend
- Impending trip to England
- My job is going pretty well and I like the people I work with
- I have great friends
So, all-in-all, a not too bad state of affairs. If I don't talk to you sooner, have a good weekend!
Thursday, January 11, 2007
Wednesday, January 10, 2007
Tuesday, January 9, 2007
Monday, January 8, 2007
Thursday, January 4, 2007
Wednesday, January 3, 2007
Working in an office every day, these things become important to you - or at least to me. I struggle to find the perfect balance between a clean and uncluttered workspace - one that will make me more productive, and a workspace that holds all the items I might need, or feel I might need, at my disposal. Also, there's the need or desire to personalize your workspace. How many pictures are too many? Do you have the cute pencil holder, or the boring black plastic one that was on your desk when you started? If you're me, with my need to have the optimum pen and pencils and colored markers and Sharpies, you have both. Recently I purchased (or rather the company purchased for me) a monitor holder that I can conveniently slide my lap top under to get it out of the way. I was very pleased with this purchase, and it really did create the perfect desk top - neat, organized, streamlined. That is until I started noticing a cramp in my neck. After several days use, I determined that aside from spending too much time in the same position, I was also having to put my head back a little too much to look at my monitor. I tried raising my chair, but that didn't work. So now I am back with my monitor on the desk and my little shelf holding one of the aforementioned pencil/pen holders and a clock radio that I don't really need, but like. Rest assured I will be spending time working on a solution to this problem. I probably should have gone into some sort of ergonomics field.
Tuesday, January 2, 2007
With Mr. H. and baby H. out of the house for the weekend, I have moved into the staying in bed, eating ice cream and watching television (p...
There has been a lot of talk in the media, on social networks, on trains, and in knitting circles about women's rights/misogyny, etc. la...
The bad thing about international travel is the time difference, and if it's a work trip, finding the time to run and having enough ener...
I tried to get up and run but the car battery was dead. That doesn’t make any sense because of course one does not need a working car batter...
Mary and me waiting for the start. I was trying to remember why I signed up for this race and I'm not really sure. I guess because ...